Leave us a message

Powers

The history of Powers began in 1791, when James Power decided to turn the old inn he owned in Thomas Street in a distillery.  
There are 2 products.
Showing 1 - 2 of 2 items
Showing 1 - 2 of 2 items

Our recommandations

A few years later, his growing success leads James Powers to move the distillery to John’s Lane. James’ son, John Power, makes Powers thrive and set the brand’s philosophy: always supply the best Irish pot still premium whiskeys with a lot of character and flavor. The distillery is one of the first to sell whiskey in a bottle with the famous gold label which took over the world and enabled Powers to become a true empire. As a tribute to his great contribution to Dublin’s development, John Power was ennobled. A few years later, he becomes the mayor of Dublin.

In 1966, the whiskey manufacturing companies (John Power & Son, John Jameson & Son and the Cork Distillers Company, which owns the Midleton distillery) merge to form the Irish Distillers Ltd. The new directory closes down all operating distilleries and concentrates all the production in Midleton. A new distillery is built close to the old one, and the production starts in 1975.

The old distillery is converted into a museum and has quickly become one of the main touristic attractions around Cork. Midleton is one of the most modern distilleries in the world. Its production capacity reaches 19 million liters of alcohol a year, with 13 stills producing and blending all types of Irish whiskeys.

Top of the page