Highland Park Valknut 46.8° 70cl
Highland Park is built on the Orkney Islands, Scotland. Located 12 km from the northeastern tip of the country, nature is wild and unspoiled, the landscape both marine and terrestrial, and the exceptionally mild climate offers cool temperatures without extremes.
Highland Park Valknut is the 2nd series in the Viking heroes and legends themed edition.
Aged in American sherry barrels, Valknut has 2 specificities:
- Slightly higher peat notes.
- The use of small amounts of Tartan barley grown in Orkney.
Highland Park is the most northern Scottish distillery, and overlooks Kirkwall town and the famous Scapa Flow.
At the end of the 18th century, Magnus Eunson, pastor and famous smuggler, would have distilled whisky where the distillery is now sat. He used to hide stocks of illegal whisky under his pulpit. Highland Park doubled its production capacity in 1898, 10 years after being purchased by James Grant from the Glenlivet distillery. It has been part of the Highlands Distilleries Groups since 1937.
5 key elements contribute to the success of Highland Park Single Malt :
- The hand-turned malt completes its aromatic and balanced character;
- The aromatic peat imparts a seducing and generous floral sweetness to the malt;
- Chill-maturation magnifies its sweetness;
- The oak casks account for the complexity and unique richness of the malt;
- The cask harmonization grants consistency and balance.