Highland Park 12 Years Old 70cl 40°
Made from the finest malted barley over peat fires, water from the island's only spring, and aged in barrels for a minimum period of twelve years, Highland Park 12 Year Old shows great complexity. Its rare and very distinctive character gives it a particular richness.
Aged mainly in European and American oak barrels that have contained Sherry, this 12 year old Single Malt is spicy and well rounded.
The result is flavours of Seville oranges and a rich fruit cake spiced with cinnamon as well as aromas of heather honey melted in waves of heather peat smoke.
Will go very well with a pan of pan-fried beef or with smoked salmon and crème fraîche.
Highland Park is the most northern Scottish distillery, and overlooks Kirkwall town and the famous Scapa Flow.
At the end of the 18th century, Magnus Eunson, pastor and famous smuggler, would have distilled whisky where the distillery is now sat. He used to hide stocks of illegal whisky under his pulpit. Highland Park doubled its production capacity in 1898, 10 years after being purchased by James Grant from the Glenlivet distillery. It has been part of the Highlands Distilleries Groups since 1937.
5 key elements contribute to the success of Highland Park Single Malt :
- The hand-turned malt completes its aromatic and balanced character;
- The aromatic peat imparts a seducing and generous floral sweetness to the malt;
- Chill-maturation magnifies its sweetness;
- The oak casks account for the complexity and unique richness of the malt;
- The cask harmonization grants consistency and balance.