Berry Bros & Rudd
It was in 1698 that a widow named Bourne opened a delicatessen at number 3 of James' Street, in the heart of one of the most exclusive districts of London. It very quickly seduced the aristocracy and in particular the British Crown, of which it would become the official supplier.
Under the leadership of George Berry, who took over the grocery store in 1810, the wine and spirits trade developed and became its main branch. A new partner, Hugh R. Rudd, entered in 1920 and joined the Berry family to launch the Cutty Stark in 1923, the very first blend to be completely unstained. This is the first major success for the brand with both names.
Today, Berry Bros & Rudd spreads its products all over the world and is considered one of the most famous bottlers, in particular thanks to the know-how of Doug Mclvor, the real “nose” of the brand, who selects the homemade whiskies.