James Fleming established the Aberlour distillery in 1879. He drew himself most of the plans of the buildings and machines, personally supervising each step of the building works. In 1898, a fire destroyed several distillery buildings and a large part of the whisky stocks. The re-building of the distillery was led by the most famous distillery builders in Scotland, Charles Doig, from Elgin.
During the last century, tools and methods improved thanks to modernization of equipment and new technologies. However, most of the original structures are still in place, as part of Aberlour’s long heritage and transmission of knowledge and traditions.
The distillery produces 3,2 million liters of alcohol every year. Almost two thirds of the production is dedicated to the making of 10 year-old, 12 year-old and 16 year-old Aberlour Single Malts, and the Aberlour A’bunadh.