The founder of the Brora distillery (formerly called Clynelish) was the Marquis of Stafford, a formidable and inspired businessman. He make his barley stocks profitable, his opened a distillery and starts selling whisky in 1824. The distillery is bought in 1896 by the James Ainslie & Co group that resells some of its share to the DLC (Distillers Company Ltd) in 1912. In 1967, a semi-detached distillery called Clynelish is built. The old distillery is closed and reopened in 1975 under the Brora name, and definitely closed in 1983. Brora used to produced the most peated Single Malt of the Highlands, and was nicknamed by some aficionados the “Lagavulin of the North”.