Jura Prophecy 70cl 46°
As they say, "no one is a prophet in his own land", but this Isle of Jura 'Prophecy' might belie the saying. In fact, this expression is very well named as, in spite of its young age, it reminds of a spiritual guide bringing wisdom amongst men. Is it on a mission to scatter all superstitions? Or to bring us on the learning path of Nordic language (old icelandic)? The name 'Jura' comes from 'hjörtr' meaning 'fallow deer' in Nordic. Definitely, this bewitching expression reunites youthfulness and maturity in a bottle.
The name of this spirit draws on an old prophecy. Shortly after year 1700, the Campbells of Jura chased away an old prophetess, yet known for its wisdom. She sought vengeance and predicted that the last Campbell to leave town would be one-eyed, and would have to transport his meagre belongings in a trolley drawn by a white horse. This prophecy came true on 1938, when Charles Campbell, who became one-eyed during World War One, drove his white horse towards the old jetty for the very last time. Just like Jura, Prophecy is a whisky steeped in history, and every drops tells a different story.
Matured and bottled without chill filtration to retain all the flavours of the peat (up to 35 ppm), this complex whisky has been aged in first fill oak Bourbon barrels. We discover extraordinarly peated notes joined by fresh cinnamon and seasprayed spices. Peated, salty, this wonderful whisky brings in a wonderful depth of aromas and everlasting perfumes.
To be served in a 'quaich' (the famous scotch whisky bowl), of course.
In June, receive a gift pack of two Jura tasting whisky glasses for the purchase of one bottle of Jura Prophecy.
|Distillery||Isle of Jura|
Some say Isle of Jura is the oldest distillery of Scotland. Indeed, the first traces of distillation hark back to the 16th century. The distillery was renamed several times. It successively bore the name of Caol'nan Eilean, Craighouse, Small Isles and Lagg.
Built in 1810, the first to obtain a license to distil is William Abercrombie, in 1831. In the following year, Archibald Fletcher took over the distillery and managed for 20 years. It changed owner many times in the 19th century: J&A Gardner, Norman Buchanan, J.K. & D. Orr and James Furgusson. As the landlord decided to collect taxes on the land, the Furgusson family moved all the equipment to Glasgow. This did not deter the landlord to pursue the Furgusson’s who came back to the Isle of Jura and dismantled the distillery’s roofs. Indeed, law exempted all roofless structures from taxation. More recently, after 40 years of closure between 1914 and 1948, the distillery was fully rebuilt with financial support from Scottish & Newcastle Breweries. The architect who rebuilt the distillery is well known in the whisky world, as it is Delmé Evans, who also rebuilt, amongst others, the Glenallachie and Tullibardine distilleries.
The Scottish & Newcastle Breweries sold the distillery to Invergordon, which was purchased by White & Mackay and became in 2001 Kyndal Spirits. The Kyndal Spirits became in 2003 Whyte & Mackay Ltd. The distillery is one of the flagships of Whyte & Mackay. The wide and tall stills of the distillery have been conceived to produce a light distillate, enabling Isle of Jura to contribute to the Whyte & Mackay blends. The range has considerably expanded these last few years also with the creation of peated versions of Jura whisky.